Love can blossom when you least expect it, but could Valentine’s Day be the ideal time to make a grand gesture?

The grandest of the lot could be transferring your house from your sole name to joint ownership? Imagine opening a special card to find an official copy of the registered title in joint names. Obviously, such a grand gesture would need to be done properly so take a look at our online guidance on how to do it.

An alternative could be checking your joint ownership details and having a record that you hold it as beneficial joint tenants, which means you both own the legal title and the beneficial interest in a property jointly. You do not own specific shares in the property so cannot leave your ownership of the property in your will. When one joint owner dies, the property automatically passes to the other owner so in some ways you are reaffirming your love as ‘what’s mine is yours’ and vice versa?

Of course, do bear in mind it is too late to make any of the changes in time for 14th February but hey, it’s the thought that counts surely, so a little note of good intention should be enough. Now that is a great idea!

Of course, if things don’t go so well, relationships can suffer and eventually break down. In such cases, if you are already a joint owner then the legal ownership is your protection so any divorce/separation is really a matter of law before anything then happens to the property.

But say, for example, the property was just in your spouse’s  name and things were irretrievable. Sorting things out can take some time so in some cases, you can protect your interest in the marital home. Just another thought worth sharing?!

Don’t forget you can check what is registered online quite easily and pay just £3 to view the register or download it.

And whilst certain changes can be made to the register quite easily, don’t forget that you are dealing with probably one of your biggest financial assets, your property. So it’s always best to seek legal advice to understand the impact of those changes. You can contact us to help with procedural advice including how to complete the forms and lodge applications, but we cannot provide legal advice.

By AdamH,
Customer Service Representative at HM Land Registry Head Office